Most people think that yoga is a physical exercise that improves flexibility, provides relief for headaches, thyroid, arthritis, back pain, hypertension and also reduces weight. When their health issues get fixed they discontinue their practice and forget about yoga.
Yoga is a scientific discipline, that re-aligns the body properly, removes tensions from muscle groups and joints, calms the restless mind and that unlocks the hidden positive energies we are born with. Dedicated practice provides the right strength to face challenges and keeps the practitioner healthy and happy. Yoga, is a gift for old people; it provides youthful vitality and confidence in old age. Every human being must practice yoga everyday.
Very few people are aware that yoga is a systematic and scientific discipline that purifies and transforms the practitioner into a Sattvic person. Sattvic means calm and positive.
Many definitions of Yoga
- The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit word ‘yuj’ which means to unite or join together. To unite the individual soul Jeevatma, with the universal soul Paramatma.
- Yoga is a timeless tradition, originating from Rig Veda, with a history of over 5000 years.
- Yoga is not a religion, but a discipline that teaches about truth, unity and love.
- Sage Patanjali, the father of yoga defines yoga as “ Yoga Citta Vritti Nirodah” meaning “control of the fluctuations of the mind. “
- Yoga is an inward journey that develops mind, body balance and makes all the systems function well.
- Yoga is an ancient science of self development that transforms every aspect of an individual.
- Yoga is an ancient art of purifying mind and body and experiencing the inner peace.
- Yoga is the ultimate tool for self realization.
- Yoga is preventive care and a holistic system of healing without any medication.
- Yoga is a way of life that shows the right path of living and makes everything go right in your life.
- Yoga is a discipline that teaches how to “live in the present” and “let go the past.”
- Yoga is a philosophy that makes you to accept with a balance of mind everything that comes in the way of your life.
- Yoga is a natural beauty therapy that keeps you young and glowing from inside.
- Yoga is an inward journey that illuminates your life beyond pain and suffering.